Playing With Linux On My Old Notebook Computer

This weekend I decided to try and load Ubuntu Linux on an old laptop. I don't need the laptop but just was doing this as an exercise in Linux. The old Dell Insprion 4000 only has 128MB of RAM, a 600Mhz processor and a 10GB hard drive. I had Windows XP loaded on it but it was very slow. I am a Linux noobie.

Well with that little RAM I could not use the Ubuntu Live CD and had to do an alternate installation. I downloaded the file, burned the CD but could not get Ubuntu loaded. The install kept stalling at 77%. Ubuntu Live CD works fine on my current Dell Inspiron notebook and desktops that I installed it on. It is still my recommendation for installing Linux.

So I decided to try Puppy Linux. This live CD worked well but I could not get the display to work at any resolution other then 640x480. My Orinoco network card worked. Wireless network cards are sometimes a problem for Linux. So I decided to try Knoppix. Knoppix worked well from the live CD and I installed it on the hard drive. Now my network card didn't work and there were some other issues. Knoppix really is meant to be run from the CD.

I was going to try Kanotix. This Knoppix derivative Linux distribution is meant to be installed on the hard drive but while waiting for it to download I found ArkLinux.

ArkLinux states that it can be installed with just 4 mouse clicks. Ark Linux was developed primarily as a desktop system - easy enough for people without Linux (or computer) experience to install and learn.

Ark Linux comes on one CD - including everything the average Desktop user may need: the OS itself, an office suite, a web browser, a multi-protocol instant messenger program, video and music players, a peer-to-peer filesharing program, various games, and more.

So I downloaded the file, burned the CD and popped it in the notebook. It took about an hour to load the new OS and it just plain worked! A beautiful desktop and every thing installed perfectly. Well the old notebook is quite peppy now. Not sure where it will live but I will be honing my Linux skills on it.

Comments