Converting To Open Office

Well I finally did something in Open Office besides testing it. I have an upcoming article on lasers in dentistry and did the entire article in Open Office.

I have an old copy of MS Office 2002 and it does what I need. The problem is that not all the files from newer versions of MS Office are compatible. (I have had problems mostly with PowerPoint but occasionally with formatting in word.) So I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars for new software for all the computers in my office and home. That is why open source software is so great. Open Office is free.

I did need to learn a few shortcuts and differences between Word and Writer but it was not difficult. I think switching to Open Office was easier then learning the new MS Word 2007 from the reviews I have read. I will be converting some of PowerPoint presentations to Open Office Impress. I may be changing to Keynote when I buy a Mac.

Go to OpenOffice.com and try it out for yourself.

Comments